Tuesday, June 25, 2024

The artist Paul McCarthy (not the Beatle Paul McCartney) was interviewed a couple months back about his process and he talked about how he is the first person he thinks of when he is making something otherwise he wouldn't be making art he'd be making entertainment. That struck a deep chord in me. Not only because I thought 'man you are singing my song' but how much people interact with art in the last decade has felt like a customer on demand exchange that I have been observing uncomfortably online. The entitlement is astounding.

'You have to entertain and please me and if you don't I will not only complain but I will go to you personally through social media and/or company/label/management site/account/email and demand you cater to me. You can’t run I’m your audience. You can’t hide I own you because I indulge your work and I call the shots around here.' 

It's insidious and it seems to get worse over time. Like I'm sorry you didn't like the experience or the feelings of what happened during or after you consumed an artistic output but that's a well known possible side effect. There is so much rage about, people even petition at times. It must be a nightmare working in TV or in comics where this is the most prevalent and especially sci-fi and fantasy genres. Just write some fan fiction and leave artists alone they don't have to answer to you. If it were me I would say you can criticize all you want and rip it to shreds but get the fuck out of my house with your demands to cater. Not that I’m being asked or anyone has been knocking on my door, maybe that gives me this perspective because my house has been so quiet. I’ve never made art with anyone else in mind at the end of the day and that will always win out at the end of the day.