Thursday, October 10, 2024

It's eerie politically being back in my bellwether corner of PA. I've recently learned I despise living in a place that is a harbinger of elections. Driving to get pizza last night a whole long stretch of houses that had all Biden and anti Trump signs four years ago have nothing on the lawns. Now they are political ghost towns. There's only a handful of weeks left so it would be hard to see that changing suddenly. Was that even true that requests for Harris-Walz signs were flying out the doors that they couldn't keep the orders up? Is everyone just so fucking exhausted and burnt out they don't have that kind of energy to put up a sign? Biden and the Democrats burned a lot of goodwill with telling people everything was fine and getting back on track and stop complaining. Harris has...I wish it were Walz. That is a person made for the moment. With Harris it's similar to Biden in 2020. He just found himself there in this place unfortunately winning the nominee. Many people wondered if he understood the complexities of the moment and challenges because he was so overly and naively optimistic in an egotistical way. He was a political creature of another time. Harris just gave Trump a political ad gift with a stupid gaffe saying there is nothing she would have broken with Biden with on The View (???) and also some other nonsense on Colbert. She is not hated like Hillary but she flounders trying to define herself. But we were suppose to whistle past the graveyard carrying Biden’s corpse? Getting in the other night there was large Harris billboard that made me feel good and some houses I saw in the dark have new Harris-Walz signs yet other houses have new Trump signs. Two creepy ‘Pennsylvania is Trump country’ signs on the roadway. I hate being in this moment and I hate being here in this moment. And yet I am still going to canvas this weekend. I feel I cannot stand back even if the worst is to happen even if the eeriness is settling in. I can’t live with myself to be a coward and tune out. Nor let myself be stewing in my house, cowering, afraid of what these people have in store for us. Yet on the other hand a place in Wales cut off from all this disappointment and political malpractice would be lovely.